Ingredients for 4 people:
- 360 gr. penne or other pasta
- 400gr. tomato
- 1 small onion,
- half stick of celery,
- a piece of carrot,
- a pinch of sugar,
- pepper (if you like).
- – Finely chop onion, celery and carrot.
- – Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan and add the chopped vegetables.
- Fry on medium flame for few minutes, being careful not to burn.
- – Then add the peeled and seeded tomatoes (peeled tomatoes or tomato sauce are also ok).
- – Mix well and boil, adding salt (and pepper to taste).
- – Continue cooking for 25-35 minutes, adding from time to time, a ladle of hot water, so as not to dry out the sauce.
- – It is possible the sauce’s taste is slightly sour (this also depends on the quality of tomatoes used), then add a teaspoon of sugar.
- – While cooking the tomato changes colour from red to orange. This will help you recognize if it is ready. Tomato-based sauce has a very different cooking times, I advise you to cook no more than 40 minutes.
- – When it is cooked add the pasta.
- – Serve hot.
Where to eat and stay in Italy.