Rice Fritters are typical Tuscan sweets that people eat at carnival or in the day of St. Joseph (19 March).
1 litre of milk,
500 gr. Rice
100 gr. Flour
50 gr. Sultanas
1 cinnamon stick
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons rum
grated rind of 1 lemon
30 gr. yeast
a pinch of salt
– Cook rice in milk with lemon peel, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
– As soon as it is “al dente”, remove from heat and let it cool.
– Add the liqueur, egg yolks, flour, sugar and yeast. (raisins is optional)
– Finally, add the beaten until stiff egg whites.
– Let it stay for fifteen minutes.
– Then pour the mixture by spoonfuls into boiling oil.
– Make the fritters become brown, drain them using a perforated spoon and put them on kitchen.
– Sprinkle with sugar and serve hot.
Photos from the albums of: panciapiena.com, gepiblu and fullo.